Friday 27 February 2009

Running with the Fash Pack...London Fashion Week A/W 09

It is always a challenge when taking Street Style photographs to create interesting images....it is ridiculously easy to fall into the trap of just having the subject strike the "standard pose" (directly facing the camera) which gets the shot but doesn't necessarily make for inspiring viewing. This is particularly so around Fashion Week when everyone is rushing from show to show and/or has been asked to pose for a photograph a zillion times that day. I try and not do the "same old, same old" but inevitably my nerves and lack of courage to, for example, ask the person I am photographing to move to a better location, get the better of me and I end up not getting the photograph I envisaged.

Apart from The Sartorialist, the other blog I am completely addicted to is Garance Doré : her street fashion photographs are simply outstanding. Every day I am almost too afraid to look at her blog for fear of being overcome by jealously at her latest offerings and sinking into a deep, dark depression. Her photographs are just THAT good. I work casually at a photographic agency in London and while the work of those photographers fills me with envy (and inspiration!), I know that behind each shot is some serious styling, make up artists, hair stylists, lighting etc. Not so with street style photography. It all comes down to having an eye for the stylish and beautiful, thinking quickly and shooting fast. Which is what Garance does so exquisitely.

I think one of the most important things in street fashion photography is background. Take a look at The Sartorialist's latest photograph (a girl with a red coat, beige skirt and jaunty feathered hat). What makes the photograph so likable (apart from the clothes, the gorgeous girl, the wind kicking up her skirt that is!!)? The blue background. If this photograph had been taken on a busy street with street signs, posts, a rubbish bin, whatever, cluttering up the background I don't think it would have looked half as good. The same goes for Garance- her backgrounds are simple, uncluttered, balanced. I have so much to learn (sigh)!

X marks the (fashion) spot:




So this is how you do pale and beautiful (Jade Parfitt, model):


This gentleman's outfit makes me happy AND I love his smile:

He reminds me of a young Yves Saint Laurent:


Love that splash of shocking pink:

And that splash of red:

I couldn't resist a photograph of this little fellow in his flat cap:


No comments:

Post a Comment